Disclosures – Licensing Information
As a Debt Management and Housing Counseling Agency, Debthelper.com must apply for a license, or exemption from license or other approval in each state it does business.
As you can probably imagine, it’s not only a lot of work, but each state has its own set of rules and nomenclature for the specific type of license Debthelper must apply for. This may make the list of licenses we post here a little unclear as to why one state has a license, named, for example: “Credit Counseling”, or “Check Seller” or “Debt Adjuster” or another name, but, regardless of the type of the license, Debthelper systematically applies for and renews its licensing requirements, no less than annually.
The license pack we include here is also shared with our grantors and creditors who require evidence of licensing in order for Debthelper to participate in things like: being eligible to submit debt management proposals on a consumers behalf or being eligible to receive fair share or grant funding to help supplement its program receipts; so Debthelper is certain to keep these licenses up to date!
You may also be happy to note that as a result of licensing, the regulations of most every state require an internal governing process that conforms to international standards aka ISO 9001, plus, a membership with a professional organization that dictates the code of practice and provides best practices of the organizations who adopt its standards, plus, licensing generally also includes a third party audit of both processes and finances, as well as, licensing requires agreeing to per diem state audits. So, among other licensing requirements in general, like we said, it’s a lot of work that we do to stay within regulatory guidelines.
Please note, we strive to include copies of our licenses on this page. Our compliance department, will post a .pdf packet of license copies here no less than once a quarter. When viewing this packet, please note that some licenses only list an effective date of a license while other states list an expiration date and others have no date at all.
If you see a license that appears expired, please feel free to ask us for clarification. Chances are the updated copy is en route or waiting for a quarterly update. Compliance may be emailed at Compliance@Debthelper.com at any time; or in writing to: CCMS Attn Compliance at our address below:
1325 N Congress Ave #201, West Palm Beach, FL 33401.
The following disclosures are likely verbatim from their respective office’s legal requirements so we apologize in advance for the legal terms. If you have any difficulty interpreting these disclosures, please ask us for additional assistance. Also notable, additional disclosures may be found in contractual agreements upon entrance to any one of our programs.
Credit Card Management Services, Inc., (CCMS) doing business as Debthelper.com also doing business as Reversemortgagehelper.org
The Quality Policy is communicated, documented and accessible to all employees/staff on the CCMS’ intranet site. CCMS’s top management has ensured that the quality policy:
- Is appropriate to the purpose and context of the organization and supports its strategic direction.
- Provides a framework for establishing and reviewing our quality objectives.
- Includes a commitment to satisfy applicable requirements.
- Is in compliance with client, regulatory, and ISO 9001:2015 requirements and forces CCMS to continuously improve the effectiveness of its QMS.
NOT A LOAN COMPANY. We do not lend money. CCMS is a licensed debt management service provider.
Establishment of a plan may adversely affect the individual’s credit rating or scores. Using a debt-management plan may make it harder for you to obtain credit.
Nonpayment of debt may lead creditors to increase finance and other charges or undertake collection activity, including litigation.
Arizona residents disclosures:
Credit Card Management Services, Inc. is NOT A LOAN COMPANY
Colorado/Delaware/Rhode Island/Tennessee residents:
Establishment of a plan may adversely affect the individual’s credit rating or credit scores; Nonpayment of debt may lead creditors to increase finance and other charges or undertake collection activity, including litigation
Indiana residents disclosures:
We do not lend money
The Commissioner of Financial Regulation for the State of Maryland will accept any questions and complaints from Maryland residents regarding Credit Card Management Services, Inc. d/b/a Debthelper.com, License# 66 at 500 N. Calvert Street, Room 402, Baltimore, MD 21202-3651. Phone 1-888-784-0136
Michigan residents disclosures: Debt Management License #0017583
State of Michigan
DIFS-Department of Insurance and Financial Services
530 W. Allegan Street, 7th Floor
Lansing, MI 48933
P: (877) 999-6442
Sec. 13.(1) When a licensee establishes a debt management plan for a debtor, the licensee may charge and receive an initial fee of $50.00.
(2) A licensee shall attempt to obtain consent to participate in a debt management plan from at least 51%, in number or dollar amount, of the debtor’s creditors within 90 days after establishing the debt management plan. If the required consent is not actually received by the licensee, the licensee shall provide notice to the debtor of the lack of required consent and the debtor may, at its option, close the account. If the debtor decides to close the account, any unexpended funds shall be returned to the debtor or disbursed as directed by the debtor.
(3) For purposes of subsection (2), a licensee may seek the consent of a creditor to participate in a debt management plan by sending a notice of a debt management plan to the creditor by an appropriate means including by telephone, facsimile, electronic means, or first-class mail. If the creditor does not respond within 14 days after the notice is sent, the licensee may presume that the creditor has given consent. However, this subsection does not require that a licensee send notice of a debt management plan to all of a debtor’s creditors.
(4) If a payment under the debt management plan is sent to the creditor, the licensee may presume acceptance of the payment and plan by the creditor 7 days after sending the payment. As an alternative to sending notice under subsection (3), a licensee may seek the consent of a creditor for purposes of subsection (2) by sending a payment to the creditor under the terms of the debt management plan.
Sec. 14.(1) A contract between a licensee and debtor shall include all of the following:
(a) Each creditor to which payments will be made and the amount owed each creditor. A licensee may rely on records of the debtor and other information available to it to determine the amount owed to a creditor.
(b) The total amount of the licensee’s charges.
(c) The beginning and termination dates of the contract.
(d) The principal amount and approximate interest charges of the debtor’s obligations to be paid under the debt management plan.
(e) The name and address of the licensee and of the debtor.
(f) Any other provisions or disclosures that the director determines are necessary for the protection of the debtor and the proper conduct of business by a licensee.
Sec. 18.(1) In addition to the fee described in section 13(1), a licensee may charge a reasonable fee for providing debt management services under a debt management plan. The fee under this subsection shall not exceed 15% of the amount of the debt to be liquidated during the express term of the plan.
(2) A licensee may offer a debtor the option to purchase credit reports or educational materials and products, and charge a fee to the debtor if the debtor elects to purchase any of those items from the licensee. Fees charged under this subsection are not subject to the 15% limitation on fees described in subsection (1).
(3) Except for a cancellation described in subsection (4), in the event of cancellation of or default in the performance of the contract by the debtor before its successful completion, a licensee may collect $25.00 in addition to any fees and charges of the licensee previously received by the licensee. This $25.00 fee is not subject to the 15% limitation on fees and charges under subsection (1).
(4) A contract is in effect when it is signed by the licensee and the debtor and the debtor has made a payment of any amount to the licensee. The debtor has the right to cancel the contract until 12 midnight of the third business day after the first day the contract is in effect by delivering written notice of cancellation to the licensee. A cancellation described in this section is not subject to, and a licensee shall not collect, the fee described in subsection (3).
(5) If a debtor fails to make a payment of any amount to a licensee within 60 days after the date a payment is due under a contract, the licensee may, in its discretion, cancel the debt management contract if it determines that the plan is no longer suitable for the debtor, the debtor fails to affirmatively communicate to the licensee the debtor’s desire to continue the plan, or the creditors of the debtor refuse to continue accepting payments under the plan.
(6) A licensee shall not contract for, receive, or charge a debtor an amount greater than authorized by this act. A person that violates this subsection, except as the result of an inadvertent clerical or computer error, shall return to the debtor the amount of the payments received from or on behalf of the debtor and not distributed to creditors, and, as a penalty, an amount equal to the amount overcharged.
Mississippi residents disclosures:
Credit Card Management Services,Inc. is a Licensed Debt Management Service Provider.
New Jersey residents disclosures:
Licensed by the New Jersey Department of Banking.
New York residents disclosures:
Budget Planning License #BP 102586
New York Department of Financial Services
State Banking Dept
One State Street
New York, NY 10004
P: (212) 618-6553
CCMS is licensed by the New York Department of State; License #BP102586. Oregon Debt Management Service Provider; Registration # DM-80012. Maryland License #66. Michigan Debt Management Service Provider; License #0017583. Licensed by the New Jersey Department of Banking; License #1000105-C14. CCMS is licensed by the Department of Banking, Insurance, Securities and Health Care Administration.
Financial information about this organization and a copy of its license are available from the North Carolina State Solicitation Licensing Branch at 919-807-2214. The license is not an endorsement by the State.
Oregon residents disclosures:
Credit Card Management Services, Inc. is a licensed Debt Management Service Provider. Registration # DM-80012.
Virginia residents disclosures:
Credit Card Management Services, Inc. is licensed by the Virginia State Corporation Commission. License #DC-76.
FL Solicitor Registration disclosures:
A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE (800-435-7352) OR ONLINE AT www.FloridaConsumerHelp.com, WITHIN THE STATE. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.
REGISTRATION #: CH23766
Credit Card Management Services, Inc. D/b/a Debthelper.com is a HUD Approved Multistate 501c3 nonprofit corporation.
Debthelper.com offers a wide range of services that include: Pre-Purchase One-on-One Counseling: One-on-one counseling designed to prepare consumers for home buying. Pre-Purchase Homebuyer Education Workshops: Multiple-hour course designed to prepare consumers for home buying. Mortgage Delinquency and Default Resolution Counseling: Free assistance to homeowners at risk of losing their primary residence to foreclosure; Resolving/Preventing Mortgage Delinquency Workshops: Free workshop to bring together lenders and homeowners at risk of losing their primary residence to foreclosure. Reverse Mortgage Counseling: Counseling of Seniors 62 years and older seeking a reverse mortgage. Financial Management/Budget Counseling: Spending plan and credit report analysis. Financial, Budgeting, and Credit Repair Workshops: Free educational workshops designed to provide consumers resources for improving their credit and budgeting skills, Student loan consolidation guidance, and Payday loan counseling.
Debthelper.com serves all members of the community.
Debthelper.com does not engage in the practice of discrimination in the selection and participation of applicants in its programs or services with respect to age, race, religion, color, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, national origin, or handicap.
You may be referred to other housing services of the Organization or another agency or agencies as appropriate that may be able to assist with particular concerns that have been identified.
You understand that you are not obligated to use any of the services offered to you.
A counselor may answer questions and provide information, but not give any legal advice. If you want legal advice, you will be referred for appropriate assistance(s).
You understand that Credit Card Management Services, Inc. provides information and education on numerous products and programs and you are not obligated to receive, purchase, or utilize any other services offered by this organization, or its partner(s), in order to receive housing counseling.
Fees and additional disclosures for housing services can be found at our housing specific pages.
Approved to issue certificates evidencing completion of credit counseling or a personal financial management instructional course in compliance with the Bankruptcy Code. Approval does not endorse or assure the quality of the Provider’s services.
See also: https://www.debthelper.com/terms-of-use